CT Scan

For those of you who haven’t had a CT scan before, here comes the low down of the whole experience. If however you have had one before, you may be able to relate to this.

The letter from the hospital stated that I should not eat anything 3 hours before my appointment. So you guessed it, up until that point I was literally eating as much as I could. Luckily, I was still allowed to drink. In fact, I had to drink a litre of water one hour before my scan.

My appointment was at 7.30pm which seems really strange as I thought it would take place during the day. As it turned out, the waiting room was fairly calm and I was taken through bang on time so maybe evening appointments are a good thing. The young man who called my name took one look at my husband and said to me, “Are you bringing your man with you? Am I in trouble?” I went on to discover that he had a good sense of humour which certainly lightened the mood.

I was then given a basket containing a hospital gown and was asked to go into the cubicle to get changed. Sporting a lovely look of gown complete with my ankle boots, we then went through to the CT scanning room, leaving hubby sitting in the corridor. I’m really glad I had researched what to expect during a CT scan as it prepared me for the considerable equipment which greeted me as I walked in. I was asked to lie on the bed and was told that the bed would move forwards and backwards under the scanner. The radiologist then went into a side room while I was left at the mercy of the scanner. It’s OK, he was watching from the window. The clever scanner then proceeded to give me instructions, such as, “Hold your breath,'” followed by, “You can now breathe normally.”  This process was over within about 5 minutes. So far, so good.

I was then joined by the radiologist again, along with one of his colleagues. They described how they would now need to inject a dye via a cannula and then the process of being scanned would be repeated. This is where the fun began. My veins decided not to cooperate. So there was lots of scrubbing of my arm, me attempting to make a fist and a plea from one radiologist to the other for ‘the pink one’ (presumably a type of needle) which turned out not to be available, so they had to resort to using ‘the blue one’. Then a comment of, “Oh dear, I have made a mess!” At this point I decided it was best not to look. The use of many wipes to tidy up said mess told me all I needed to know. Finally, cannula successfully inserted, I was told that the dye might make me feel warm inside and it may make me feel like I have wet myself! A few minutes later, I did indeed feel like I had weed on the hospital bed. Good job they had warned me.

It was then another few minutes of letting the scanner do its work while the bed moved forwards and backwards,  and the computer telling  me when to hold my breath. That was really it. The tube was removed from the cannula and I was allowed to stand up. I couldn’t help taking a quick peek at the bed to check whether or not I had wet myself – fortunately I hadn’t. I went to change back into my clothes and the cannula was removed around 15 minutes later. We left the hospital by ten past eight.

We decided a visit to Pizza Expresss was in order. It felt like deja vu, which was confirmed by the waitress who said how lovely it was to see us again!

Now the painful wait for the results.


2 thoughts on “CT Scan

  1. You’re being so brave and your writing is so supportive to others and informative for some of us that might need it for the future because ‘you never know’.
    Keep strong and love to you and your family xx


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s