Bone scan

Today’s event was a journey to Northampton for my bone scan. I was asked to arrive at 12pm for an injection of radioactive dye. On arrival at the hospital we saw that there were two waiting areas: one for the radioactive people and one for non-radioactive people. I was asked to go into the injection room pretty much at 12pm on the dot. Hubby came in as well but probably began to wish he hadn’t! My pesky veins were at it again. So, one stab in the arm, without success, followed by a stab in the hand, which seemed to do the trick. First an infusion of saline and then the radioactive dye. I noticed that this particular syringe was stored in a rather industrial looking box.

The radiographer explained that this scan was being carried out due to the cancer having gone into at least one of my lymph nodes. She did say it was unlikely that anything would be found in the bones at this stage but that the scan would act as a baseline. As I am now on the hospital’s books, any future aches and pains will be taken seriously, and should another scan be carried out, then they will have something to compare it to.

I was pleased to find that although my scan would be carried out three hours later, I was allowed to leave the hospital and take a walk into town. Off we went, in search of food. Hubby hinted heavily at Pizza Express, even down to making his choice from the menu, but I stood my ground for having something else for a change. Fortunately, the food we ate in Debenhams was very nice, otherwise I would never have heard the end of it!

We then had time to do a little bit of shopping before returning to the radioactive waiting area at the hospital. I was supposed to drink a fair amount to flush the dye through my system, so I spent the next ten minutes drinking water. Soon enough, I was called into Gamma Room 2, where my scan was to take place. Equipment, not dissimilar to the CT scanner from last week, greeted me. This one was called ‘Discovery’.

First things first, removal of some metal objects, so off came the watch and necklace. The button on my jeans was fine, as were the zips on my boots, so no further removals needed. The room was pretty cold with some serious air conditioning going on so I was grateful to remain fully clothed.

I then had to lie down on a rather slimline bed. Just as I was wondering how to place my arms, the radiographer secured them by my sides with a velcro tie. He told me I simply had to lie still and relax. The scanner moved across my head first and came in quite close to my face. It stayed there for some time. I did wonder if perhaps it struggled to locate my brain? Next it moved down the rest of my body, staying in each area for a while, before eventually reaching my feet. I was starting to feel a bit dozy by now and was worried that I might let out a snore. It was all a bit boring to be honest. I thought some music would have been nice to pass the time.

Around half an hour later the scan was complete. The radiographer informed me that the report would be written up and sent to Milton Keynes. That left me with a day’s respite before the next event: operation number two.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s