Results from lymph node surgery

Christmas Day and Boxing Day passed by quickly and it was back to earth with a bump. I got called into the breast care clinic to discuss the results from my latest operation. My appointment got moved twice until finally an afternoon time was agreed. I didn’t fancy dwelling on what I might be told later so we set about shopping. (Did I mention before how it helps me to cope?) But not for clothes – this time we shopped for a new sofa. Oh, what fun we had! We took full advantage of the free hot drinks and cookies in Furniture Village and became well known to all the staff!

Soon enough, it was time to face up to the main event,  so we set off on the familiar route to the hospital. There were several people waiting in the breast clinic and I felt sorry for them having to be there and possibly face bad news, particularly when they should be at home celebrating Christmas. We were called through on time and taken to one of the rooms where we awaited the arrival of the consultant and the breast care nurse. A few minutes passed, allowing me time to check that I had my list of questions and to get my pen ready to make notes.

We were joined by the same consultant breast surgeon who had advised me about the operation three weeks ago. I didn’t recognise the breast care nurse but I think I have probably met all of them by now. They had a quick look at my wound first, which they seemed happy with, although they did remove a couple of stitches which were hanging out. I showed them my rash which I have had for a couple of weeks now. They didn’t seem concerned by this, telling me it is an allergic reaction which should clear with some Piriton.

Next we went on to discuss the results from the operation. I was told that 13 lymph nodes were removed, none of which contained cancer. What a relief! Furthermore, the bone scan didn’t show any problems either. Great news all round! So, I double checked what would be happening next, and was told that I would receive an appointment around the middle of January from the oncologist to discuss chemotherapy, Herceptin and radiotherapy. We didn’t need to go into further details as we have discussed this before. Besides, they don’t know the full details as to how many cycles of chemo and which drugs they will use – all of that lies with the oncologist. I was told that I would be called in for an annual mammogram for the next five years but aside from that, the breast care clinic’s work was done for now. I was effectively discharged. What a strange feeling!

So a very brief visit to the clinic but a positive one. As ever though, hubby felt the need to follow this up with a bacon sandwich from the hospital cafeteria. Seriously! And there you have it – we coped as we always do with shopping and food!

Now a couple of weeks to continue my recovery from the operation and then we’ll face the next hurdle.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s